Athletic Placement Process
The Athletic Placement Process (APP) is a testing procedure to ensure that 7th and 8th-grade students who want to try out for a JV or Varsity sport are at the physical, emotional and academic maturity level required of higher-level competition. This process is meant for exceptional athletes who require a more competitive level for their growth as a student-athlete. In order for a student to make a high school team as a middle schooler, they must be seen as a potential starter or significant contributor of 50% or more playing time at that level. Their academic and emotional readiness is a significant factor in this process as well. To begin the Athletic Placement Process (APP) for your child (7th or 8th grade) to play a JV or Varsity sport, the following steps must be completed and approved prior to any tryouts being conducted.
- Parent/Guardian Permission– Parent permission form must be completed and filed with the Athletic Office by the sport seasonal deadline.
- Coach/PE Teacher Recommendation – An Eden Coach/PE Teacher provides a written recommendation for the student-athlete to proceed with the Athletic Placement Process. This is necessary because they most likely have a better understanding of who might make the playing time criteria.
- Medical Clearance- This is determined by the district medical director. This is required before the student-athlete is allowed to take the fitness test. Once the school is notified of the request to try out, the school will notify the medical director using the physical on file at the middle school.
- Administrative approval- The Director of Health, Physical Education, and Athletics will seek approval from middle school administrators regarding the student-athletes emotional and academic readiness
- Physical Fitness Test– Student-Athletes must pass 4 out of the 5 required tests. You can view the chart by clicking here. *This process is not required for Bowling or Golf.
- Qualification Determination is made by the Director of Health, Physical Education, and Athletics - if a student-athlete qualifies they may try out
- Tryout for Sport - if they are determined eligible. If all steps have been completed and approved, your child will have the opportunity to try out for a JV or Varsity sport. Students that are not selected to participate in the JV or V level are eligible to participate in our modified sports program