Internet Safety Information for Parents
Keeping kids safe on the Internet is a big concern. At school, we talk a lot about how kids can keep themselves safe. Here are some tips that we give the kids in computer lab!
The Internet is a wonderful resource, but safety is always important. Visit some of these sites to learn more about online safety for your family!
- Always let your parents know when you are using the computer. Ask their permission to go onto the Internet.
- Have your computer with Internet access located in a room where your parents can watch what you are doing on the Internet.
- NEVER give out your personal information to anyone over the Internet. This includes your name, address, school, sports teams, phone number, playgrounds that you visit, etc.
- Tell an adult if something happens while you are on the Internet that makes you feel uncomfortable (ex: a pop-up appears asking you for your name or other personal information OR an inappropriate picture pops up on the screen).
- Give your parents the passwords to your email or any other secure sites that you visit (ex: MYSPACE, FACEBOOK, RUNESCAPE or chat rooms). Parents, check these site regularly to see what activity is happening!
- Remember, ANYTHING you do on the Internet can be copied and archived. Do not put anything anywhere on the web that you do not want your parents, teachers, co-workers, employers, college admission officers, etc to see! Even using privacy settings does not guarantee that your information is completely private!
ConnectSafely - This is a great resource for understanding safety issues related to the technology we all use. I recommend checking out the Video Library, especially the GRANULAR FACEBOOK PRIVACY SETTINGS: Customizing Who Can See What Kids Heath for Parents
iSafe - check out the iParent Times in the Quick Links box - a great newsletter for parents!
Stop Bullying Now!
Microsoft - Kids and Gaming
Most of the above sites have a Parent's section which is worth taking a look at!
Good Morning America - Sexting
Good Morning America - Tracking Your Kids
Parent Safety - protect your identity
Downloading and Sharing Internet Content
Cyberbullying - CNN
Count as of June 15, 2011